Have you ever noticed the yogurt button on your Instant Pot® and wondered how to use it? Can you really make yogurt at home? You absolutely can and with the help of the Instant pot, it is extremely easy. With just two ingredients and a little bit of love, you will have homemade, creamy, tangy, and delicious yogurt in no time! The directions to this recipe may be a little intimidating but it is actually quite easy- once you make this recipe once, you will never go back to store-bought brands and you will be making yogurt at home all the time!
Oregano Essential Oil, 100% Pure & Natural Origanum Vulgare Oil, Therapeutic Grade Aromatherapy Essential Oil, 10ml (0.33oz)
Oregano is a powerful, potent essential oil used in a variety of ways. Oregano oil, or Oreganum Vulgare, contains two chemical substances, Carvacrol and Thymol, that possess powerful antioxidants. Because it is so potent, take caution when using Oregano oil as an inhalant or when diffusing: just a few drops are necessary.
Instant Pot® Yogurt
- Instant Pot
- Meat Thermometer
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- 0.5 gallon Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp Plain Yogurt, live active cultures
- Begin by thoroughly washing your Instant pot bowl and lid. You want to make sure it is completely clean and doesn’t have any lingering odor (if you have been making chili or anything with a lot of flavors, you want to get those smells out!). Wipe your instant pot with pure white vinegar and then rise to really clean it well.
- Pour the milk into the instant pot and close the lid. The position of the vent does not matter in this stage as the pot doesn’t need to seal. Press the ‘Yogurt’ button and then the “Adjust” button which will make the screen say “Boil”. The milk will then come to a boil inside the Instant Pot® and the pot will beep once it reaches 180 degrees F. This process will take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes depending on how cold your milk was and how large of a batch of yogurt you are making.
- Open the Instant pot and check the temperature of the milk using your thermometer. Make sure the milk is at 180 degrees. If it has not reached that temperature yet, close the lid and use the “Slow Cook” function for another 15 minutes to reach the proper temperature. Let the milk sit until it has cooled to 110 degrees F. Check the temperature occasionally. Once it has reached 110 degrees F, skim the milk skin off the top of the yogurt and discard it. This will make your yogurt creamier later on!
- Place the store bought live active culture yogurt into a measuring cup. Make sure the yogurt you are using as your “starter” is plain and has live active cultures listed in the ingredients. These live cultures are what will make your yogurt actually be yogurt rather than sour milk! Add one to two cups of your cooked milk into the measuring cup and stir together with the yogurt until smooth. Add the mix back into the Instant Pot® and stir into the milk in the pot.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot® and set the vent to seal. Press the “yogurt” button and set the timer for 8 hours. If you prefer very tangy yogurt, you can set the timer up to 12 hours- the longer the time, the tangier it will be! Let the yogurt be and try not to move the Instant Pot® once the timer has been set or the yogurt may separate. Once the yogurt is complete, the timer will beep. Remove the silver pot from the Instant Pot® and refrigerate for about 2 hours to cool and further thicken the yogurt.
- Store in the refrigerator and top with any fruit, granola or sweetener you’d like!
How did your first batch of Instant Pot® yogurt come out? Are you already making your second or third batch? I know I am! Instant Pot® yogurt made me never need to purchase yogurt again! We’d love to hear about your yogurt adventure as well.