While regular mac and cheese are good, buffalo chicken mac and cheese is even better. In fact, it is frequently on restaurant menus these days as being a gourmet comfort food and we see why- it is so good and it does have that homey feel! This recipe is cheesy, flavorful, and (of course) easy! Grab that instant pot and you will have homemade buffalo chicken mac and cheese in no time.
Instant Pot® Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Two Forks
- Small Bowl
- Rubber Spatula or Spoon for stirring
- Cheese Grater (If cheese is not pre shredded)
- Instant Pot
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast
- 1 cup Buffalo Sauce (bottled)
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Pound Dry Pasta Shells or Elbows
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 0.5 teaspoon Salt
- 0.5 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Begin by making the shredded buffalo chicken in your Instant Pot®. Simply add the chicken breast, butter, buffalo sauce, honey and cider vinegar to the pot. Mix together briefly then cover the Instant pot, set the valve to “seal” then press “manual” and set the timer for ten minutes. This will cook the chicken on high pressure for ten minutes. It may take about 5 minutes or so for the pot to come to temperature, seal and have the timer begin so don’t worry if it doesn’t start counting down immediately- it will!
- Once the cooking process is complete and the Instant Pot® beeps, let the pot do a natural release of the steam for 5 minutes (basically do not touch the pot for 5 minutes, just let it sit!). Then open the steam valve and let the remaining steam quick release. Use two forks to shred the chicken then move it into a small bowl to sit and absorb the juice while you make the mac and cheese.
- You do not need to clean your instant pot in between making the chicken and mac and cheese, it will all be mixed together anyway! So place the metal liner back in the Instant Pot® base and add the dry pasta, vegetable or chicken broth, butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cover the Instant Pot® and set the valve to “seal” then press “manual” and set the timer for 5 minutes. Once the Instant Pot® beeps, open the steam valve carefully to immediately release the pressure.
- Remove the lid on the Instant pot and add the cheese. Stir to combine and melt the cheese throughout the cooked pasta.
- Add the cooked pulled buffalo chicken and sauce to the mac and cheese and stir. Serve while hot!
Does this recipe make you feel like your eating at a high end southern style restaurant or at your grandma’s kitchen table? Maybe both?! Let us know what you thought of this buffalo mac and cheese recipe- we want to hear all about your experience!