Beef stew is the essence of winter. The cold days are made better with a hot cup of hearty stew at the end of the day. And why waste all day slaving over that stew when you can make it in a matter of minutes in your Instant Pot®? The beef in this recipe come out so tender that you will think this stew cooked all day. Oh and the seasonings, perfection! You should probably skip right to the large 8 serving recipe as you are going to want many, many bowls of this stew.
Instant Pot® Beef Stew
- Instant Pot
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- Rubber Spatula or wooden spoon
- 1.5 pounds Beef Stew Meat, Cubed
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 0.5 cup Cooking Sherry
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 0.5 tsp Dried Oregano
- 0.5 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 leaf Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup White Onion, Diced
- 1 cup Celery, diced
- 1 cup Carrots, diced
- 1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Red Potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 4 cups Water
- Begin by dicing all of your vegetables and setting them aside for later. Keep the celery, onions and carrots together in one bowl or dish and the potatoes and mushrooms together in a second bowl.
- In a separate bowl toss the cubed beef with the flour.
- Pour the olive oil into the bowl of the instant pot and press the saute button on your pressure cooker. Once hot, the screen will read ‘Hot’. Toss in the flour coated beef and let sit and brown for 2 minutes. Stir the beef, flipping it over and saute for another minute.
- Remove the beef pieces from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- There will be a good deal of browned pieces stuck to the bottom of the instant pot bowl. With the Instant pot still on, add the cooking sherry and let simmer. The sherry will help loosen the browned pieces as you scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon or spatula. Cook for about 4 minutes while scraping the bowl.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery to the pot while it is still on saute. Stir and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all the seasonings (salt, pepper, basil, oregano, rosemary and bay leaf) along with the browned meat back into the pot. Stir into the veggie mix and cook for about one minute.
- Pour the beef broth, water, potatoes and mushrooms into the pot. Stir briefly just to incorporate.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot® and seal shut. Press the “Meat/Stew” button and walk away! The Instant Pot®’s automatic setting of 35 minutes at normal pressure is perfect. The Instant Pot® may take up to 20 minutes to come to temperature and seal before beginning the cooking cycle (when there is a good amount inside the pot, it can take longer to heat)- don’t think your Instant Pot® is broken, it is just heating.
- Once the cooking cycle is complete, let the pot natural release for 15 minutes and then finish by opening the steam valve for a quick release of the steam.
- Serve stew while hot or freeze it for a later date!
We’d love to hear your thoughts and questions for this tasty beef stew recipe! Wondering about various types of potatoes? Thinking about adding pearl onions? Maybe you don’t have a bay leaf…whatever your question, we are here to help make your Instant Pot® recipes perfection!